Monday, February 4, 2008

Tipping at Restaurants

Tipping waiters and waitresses (henceforth referred to as waiters, not because I'm sexist but because it's a shorter word and easier to type) at restaurants has been the subject of many debates that I have had. Ultimately I believe that tipping is a personal decision. Every individual should decide what they are comfortable with when it comes to tipping. Furthermore I don't think anyone should force their tipping practices onto others, nor should the think poorly of some one or openly ridicule some one for how they choose to tip. This being said I will proceed to tell you my thoughts behind tipping but I promise I will not make any effort to compell you to follow my practices (unless I do so subliminally in which case you will have no choice but to do things the way I do and you won't even know that I am compelling you to do so).

I aknowledge that waiters are not well paid by the restaurants they work at and that much of their money comes from tips. Many people like to give big tips based on this fact, but I don't. Waiting tables doesn't require any skills beyond be able to talk to people, write, and carry food. The first two are learned by pretty much everyone in the United States and the last one can be done by pretty much anyone who practices for a little bit. So waiters don't get paid a lot for a reason, the fact that tips are commonly given to them is a great bonus that most other jobs don't offer. I also don't sympathize with the low pay because they know what they will be paid when they take the job, it's not like they are forced into beint a waiter.

I am perfectly willing to tip if I feel like some one deserves it but I am a big stickler for customer service so I have high standards for what warrants a tip. I really try to refrain from basing my tip on the amount I spent on the food simply because just because an item is more expensive doesn't mean the waiter had to work any harder so why would they get a bigger tip. Whether I order the salmon or just a little side salad the waiter does the same amount of work. Along this same vein I have no idea who came up with 15%, people have come to feel obligated to tip that much for some reason.

I like to base tips on performance. Is the waiter friendly and respectful, do they know about the food they are serving, are they quick with getting drinks and to they get me refills regularly or do I have to ask for one, Can they answer my questions and if I have a question are the able to answer it. These are fairly easy things for a waiter to do and I would consider them the basics of their job and yet very frequently I am dissappointed with the service I receive.

I close with this, if you want to tip some one a large amount feel free to do so and feel proud that you did something very nice for the waiter. If you don't think a waiter deserves a tip and you don't want to leave one, don't, and feel proud that you are making a statement that in order to get your money the service industry has to perform at a level that is acceptable to you. I reiterate that tipping is a personal choice and no one should be made to feel guilty however they choose to do it, and no one should be pushed to tip like some one else does.

6 comments:

sherry said...

Ooh this is a touchy issue.

I choose to tip my server starting at 15%(because I'm a believer in ye ol' etiquette practices), and then add for exceptional service, or subtract down to 10% (per the Emily Post's Etiquette).

I know you said that you understand server pay issues, but did you know that, if you tip under 8%, based on the average IRS reports, a server could end up actually losing money for serving you? Obviously, this varies by restaurant and depends on their payroll practices.

That said, I agree that tipping is a private matter, and we shouldn't try to dictate others' tipping practices. I would suggest, however, that tipping is a very public matter on a shared check. Those who choose not to tip 15% really need to request separate checks, so as not to impose on those of us who choose to leave a 15% tip. I feel obligated to leave 15%, so I often end up paying WAY more than my fair share of the bill in order to make up for those who don't.

I've often wondered the reasoning for not tipping 15%, so this was an interesting read.

. said...

I like what you said Miller. I admit I usaully tip around 15% but on occassions where the service just sucked then it drops. But here is the deal in almost every other country you don't tip period. They get paid for what they do. There is a minimum wage right? Riegs

MillerTime said...

Thanks for your comments. Sherry, I'll have to check out the book you mentioned in your post, although I have a feeling it could get me a little fired up but I'll check it out.

Riegs, I don't remember my eating out experiences while abroad that clearly so I'll have to take your word for it that tipping isn't practiced. I have a feeling it probably is in more western places like France or England but I can't say for sure. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I re-read that comment and I'm embarrassed by my typos. Sorry. I suck at life.

Etiquette isn't for everyone, but I have a deep appreciation for tradition (even when it isn't logical).

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with Riegs. I don't know what countries he has been to but every country I've visited thus far tips. Mexico, Much of western Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Germany) and even eastern European countries such as Croatia, and Hungary. Here in the Czech Republic we tip by rounding off. Which I like. For example if my lunch costs 125 Czech Crowns I simply round off to 130 and it is completely acceptable. That I like!

Erik-
Ceska Republika

MillerTime said...

Erik, Thanks for your comment. It sounds like while you have been tipping over there it isn't necessarily what makes or breaks the waiter's pay. I mean rounding up like that seems more like just a convenience for the customers. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is but it doesn't sound like they are really getting that much in the way of tips so they must be getting a fair hourly pay. I think Riegs' international experience is more in Asia and Australia.