Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Back to Politics

When Amy and I were up visiting my parents for Easter we saw a little press conference for republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Amy kind of liked the guy because he seemed nice and friendly. Don't worry, I warned her that it is all an act and that the entire press conference was probably scripted out. Anyway, when Amy's parents picked us up from the airport we were talking about the candidate and they told us that he was a Mormon. It made me start to think if I would factor a person's religious beliefs into whether or not I wanted them as president. The whole separation of church and state would tend to imply that it shouldn't matter. However, I feel that one's religious beliefs are, or at least should be a part of everything they do and all the decisions they make. I would probably prefer that my president be of the same religious background as me but that is not always going to happen, so now I am trying to decide if I would rather have some one who flat out is not religious, or some one who is of another religion like a Muslim or a Jewish person. Its hard to say, I'd be interested to hear all your thoughts on this so feel free to post at will. I'm leaning towards any religious person would be better than no religion at all simply because most religions push for similar value systems that I agree with, but what if it was some crazy religion and all of a sudden our coins said "In the sun god we trust"? Let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

domenico said...

All wanting comes from need, therefore from lack, therefore from suffering.

Anonymous said...

My personal preference is to have some one in office who believes as I do. A follower of Jesus Christ who actually follows Jesus.
I think I am now simply looking for competence. If I can find someone who appears competent for the task I will then look at the other things in their life and determine if they will be a help or a hindrance.

Mike Miller

T-Dub said...

I don't think that someon's religion should be the deciding factor for voting them or not. I would hope that their religion shapes their values and actions, which in turn would sway a voter one way or the other. However, it is common that people claim a religion yet live contrary to the beliefs of that religion (mainly Christianity). Sadly, most other religions seem to have more of a commitment than Christians do.

Back to the point- It's hard to say which person to vote for, but I would not disqualify a candidate simply because they are of another religion than me. They may happen to have more conviction and moral values than a candidate who is a Christian.