Saturday, March 24, 2007

I'm Back

Ok so I haven't posted for a while, but I was pretty bogged down with school stuff. I finished the winter quarter so now I get a short break before I start up again. One of the things that has bothered me in my classes is that I feel like there is no room to disagree with my professors. Sometimes I think they are flat out wrong, or they are expressing one of their personal viewpoints that I don't agree with. My problem is that I don't think it is safe for me to say anything.

Example: my professor for Organizational Theory and Behavior doesn't seem to like big companies like Walmart or McDonald's because of some of the problems they can cause people, Like put people out of business, force people out of jobs etc. I acknowledge that stuff happens but I am not totally soured on big corporations, I just think some slight management changes are needed. But in the class it felt like we had to listen to 2 hours of coporation bashing each night. What is weird is that it is a management class yet it is basically discouraging us from trying to work for a big corporation. So my gut instinct is to speak up when I don't agree, but I felt like saying anything would be opposing him in a way that he would take it personally.

I'm open to thoughts on this situation. While I realize that a professor can't always disconnect to a point where their personal beliefs don't bleed into the course content, however I have frequently gotten the distinct impression that if I confront them too much it will affect my grade in the class, and some of these professors I have to have more than once.

1 comment:

T-Dub said...

It seems to me that your teacher leaves you with two options:

1) You join the big name company and put other people, companies, maybe even industries out of business. However you have a secure job and hopefully promising future.

2) You join a small company and manage it wisely so that you can get put out of business by the big company.

Looks like you're messed either way. You shoulda been a liberal studies major or something. Maybe just switch your Masters over to education so that you can become a teacher and never get fired.