Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Jesus and Customer Service

I think Jesus is a big fan of customer service. I frequently take note of horrible customer service at places where I choose to spend my money, it is sort a habit of mine, and I think that Jesus would be equally dissappointed with today's general level of customer service. I think the problem is rooted in the primary motivator for being in business. The places I most frequently spend my money are, grocery stores, restaurants, golf courses, video rental stores, and a bunch of other places I guess but those are all I can think of right now. Anyway, these businesses pretty much all exist to make money. Therefore, their only reason to even consider offering good service is that it might make them more money. I would say that it has been determined that money is not the best motivator, though it often seems like it, I really think there are about 5 or 6 other things that motivate people more than money but thats a different topic. My point here is that because people think the only thing they stand to gain from good customer service is money they aren't that motivated to give it their best shot. I intend to follow this post up with more of my thoughts on customer service but based on what I've said so far I'd be interested to see if you have any thoughts or responses. Ultimately in order for great customer service, or even good customer service to exist in an establishment there needs to be a better motivator than the money that it can generate. I'll get more into the Jesus aspect of this train of thought in my next post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think part of the problem is that people are trying to gain something (rather than give something) through customer service. If people weren't so focused on what they can get (money, more customers, etc.) but on what they can give (someone an easier day, help when it is needed, etc.) I think customer service would be much better.

Amy

Anonymous said...

I googled "Jesus and Customer Service" because I had a similar thought. I also think people don't learn at home or school simply how to be nice and care for others. Which make it hard to do for strangers,money or no money.
Tiffany

Men Who Pray said...

I also googled Customer Service Jesus Style and was directed here.

I think there is a big opportunity for this topic to be explored.

I think there is a longing inside people for this type of approach to service.

I think even business executives are starting to feel that what they have always done just isnt satisfying anymore.

I would love to explore this idea more with anyone who is interested?

_Derek

http://www.journeyofadad.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have been contemplating this concept alot lately (given this is what I do everyday--Customer Service, or moreso "Customer Relations". So I just Googled and was led to your blog. I think this is just the perspective I needed and wanted to examine, in order to write about it, as well. Your viewpoint has 'sparked' the synapses firing! So, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I also teach Sunday School and do Children's Ministry, so I feel a 'theme' coming on! :-)

Blessings!