Friday, April 9, 2010

Why Announce it?


So Ricky Martin has announced to the world that he is gay. The big question for me is why the announcement? Why is it important for everyone to know that? The only reason I can come up with is he needed a career boost. So far it seems to have been effective, over the last week I think I have heard "Livin la vida loca" on the radio 5 times.


The even bigger question is why do gay or lesbian people feel the need to make a dramatic announcement about their sexuality. I'm not saying they all do but there seems to be a segment that really needs to tell people.


Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Should those of us that are straight start putting stickers on our cars that say so? Or when a straight celebrity wins an award should they declare in their acceptance speech that they are heterosexual?

2 comments:

Heasty said...

Yeah, you are on to something here. It does seem like it has to be a big deal even at the high school level. On the other hand, I need a career boost, maybe I need to come up with something to announce!

mcgregorfamily said...

Everytime I check your blog...I want to comment on this, but not sure how to word it maybe? I think it is a pride thing. And since many gay people have a hard time coming out, famous people feel a responsibility to be a role model in this area. That what I suspect. Not sure what else I think about that....except specifically on Ricky Martin- duh! It was one of those announcements that everyone already knew.