Friday, March 19, 2010

Give Walmart a break

I read a story on Yahoo! yesterday about Walmart that I think is a little ridiculous. In a Walmart store some one got on the annoucement system and told all black people to leave the store. Of course this has to become a huge deal that will probably scar Walmart's name for a long time in the future.

Here's my beef. Aren't we getting way too sensitive? Couldn't everyone in the store have just gone about their business and ignored this comment. Maybe they could have chuckled and thought "what an idiot" and then continued with their shopping. Instead we have people demanding that Walmart take severe action and people threatening to never shop at Walmart again. This has been stretched to even say that maybe Walmart is a racist company. I'm not even sure its possible for a global company like Walmart to be racist.

What do you think? Am I not sensitive to the impact of an incident like this? Or is it being overreacted to?

6 comments:

The Washams said...

People these days look for any way to get attention & make huge claims on racism. I agree with you that it should have been shrugged off & pointed out that the person who said it was pretty idiotic! But no, Walmart shouldn't be looked down upon.

Marcella said...

I think they are overreacting. It was the person's fault who said it, not the companies. Also I think the media hyped it up just to make a story.

mcgregorfamily said...

Oh man, these types of stories annoy me so much! I agree, many people are just looking for drama and fights to battle out...lame!
Who said it? An employee or a random customer? Fire the employee or ban the customer and it is done. And really - maybe not even for the remark directly, but for the simple fact of misusing the equipment. The remark is not nice, true, but it was one person saying it and I am perplexed as to why Walmart in general is suddenly the bad guy!?
Boo!

Erik Latshaw said...

And I'm not saying he's a good guy or anything but last I heard the dude who said this over the PA system is now facing 18 months in jail. I suppose they can call it trespassing or maybe even a threat of violence or something like that if he was using the system unlawfully but that's stupid. If he said something innocuous there'd be no problem. That they're prosecuting him so severly indicates it verges on punishment for expressing an unpopular sentiment.

MillerTime said...

Cindy! Great to hear from you. I hope you guys are doing well, and I appreciate the comment.

Thanks for your comments guys, I can safely say that you are all reasonable people and I can maintain my friendships with you.

I read a follow-up story and I believe it was a random person, not an employee that made the announcement. I agree with you Erik that if he had said something like "All shoppers, never eat pickles again" nothing would have happened.

sherry said...

Are you sure, Jonathan? Vlassic has feelings, too.