Monday, January 25, 2010

Legislative parenting


I heard on the radio the other day that they are working on a system that would make the texting function on phones not work while driving in a car. This is motivated by trying to keep young people from texting while driving. We see things like this more and more in our society. We are making a law to go after the symptom of a bigger problem rather than address that problem itself. I would say the big problem here is that young people don't care that they are putting themselves and others at serious risk. If asked why people shouldn't text while driving they could probably tell you that it is dangerous but I think it is difficult for them to personalize that danger. Whether this mentality is due to poor parenting or just the nature of being young I can't really say. But I will say this, if we have deemed talking on the cell phone or texting while driving to be too dangerous to allow then we could very easily put a stop to it. Just make the penalty a confiscation of the phone and a revocation of the license for a year or five and a $10,000 fine. If you ran the risk of not being able to drive for 1 to 5 years there is absolutely no way you would decide its worth it to text while driving. For those that did think it was worth it they would hopefully get caught and we could get those morons off the road, and the fines would generate a little revenue for the state.

Does this sound reasonable? If you decide it is too drastic please tell me why otherwise I might assume you enjoy texting while driving or something.

4 comments:

mcgregorfamily said...

I am all for "drastic measures". Yes- people (in general) are too self centered and maybe especially the younger ones cannot see the big picture. Yes- there should be a higher level of consequences for unlawful actions. I especially get amped up about DUI's. Cannot say how many people I have heard of that have even had multiple DUI's and are still driving with almost no consequences! (Not friends of mine...only acquaintances mostly from high school....people who continue to be losers through their whole life...) Why is there any second chance after such an offense!? Texting while driving is similar in that you are consciously deciding that what you want to do supersedes the safety and lives of others.
I have already matched the speed of a car in the lane next to me (whom I noticed because she kept drifting into the bike lane through town during school drop off time). She was texting- so I drove next to her with my horn blaring the whole time and when she looked at me I yelled "no texting!". Yes, maybe what I did was not that safe or not even my place.... but she was a teenage girl who I saw as a direct threat to others.
Long comment- but the short of it = I agree!

Mike from boulder creek said...

I believe most people do not change until there is a strong motivation to change so I agree with using drastic measures. A big fine, lose driving privileges and they must do community service in a place that is no fun.
I also believe many people are not aware there are others on the planet with them. They think everything is about them and life revolves around them. Another reason for drastic measures to wake them up.

. said...

I like the idea of beefing up all fines in general. Not only the texting while driving but everything. But consider more than texting. What about people who do their make-up or eat a hamburger while driving is that any different?
-Mike

MillerTime said...

Thanks for your comments. So far it looks like my small circle of people I know is agreeing that we need stiffer penalties if we really want to stop bad behavior. If I'm ever in a position of power I will be sure to do what I can toward this end. In the meantime lets all keep giving all the bozoes out there dirty looks.