Monday, June 30, 2008

I'm sick of celebrities

It will never cease to amaze me that people are so interested in the lives of celebrities. These people have nothing to do with us and yet our society is consumed with following their every move. On Yahoo right now the top news story listed is that Uma Thurman got engaged. How is that news? I understand that the definition of news is really just information about a recent event, but I feel like people have come to understand news to be information that should be important to them and has impact on their life. I guess it is news for all those guys out there that were planning on proposing to Uma but for the rest of us, is that really "need to know" information. Also on the Yahoo page I noticed that today's top 4 searches are Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, Nicole Kidman, and Madonna. Amazingly more people are interested in those celebs, than are interested in things that would seem to me to be more important like finding a job, choosing a presidential candidate to vote for, getting out of debt, or what happens when we die.

Some of you may be thinking that I am just jealous because these people are rich and famous and get everyone's attention. Those of you that know me well can probably imagine what I would be like in their shoes. Do you really see me tolerating people following me around taking pictures of me, let alone enjoying it?

If you enjoy reading about celebrities, fine. You have every right to do so and there is plenty of material for you to read. But let me finish by saying this. Actors are pretenders. They pretend to be things like doctors, lawyers, teachers, coaches, astronauts, soldiers etc. By pretending to be a real person they have become more important to our society than what our troops are doing in Iraq. It just sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad that celebrities have become like royality to us. We go crazy trying to see them, we read about them and want to hear their thoughts on pretty much everything, as if their ideas are more significant than any one elses. It is an indictment on many people who do not seem to have a life of their own. It is equally sad that many celebrities take themselves way too seriously.
I certainly have my favorite actors but I hope I see them as just that, actors in interesting movies.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I am way too interested in celebrities. And I am not sure why - but I do read People Magazine and skim through the book and movie reviews on my way to find photos of celebrities and captions about them. If I see a celebrity on a talk show saying that what I read in a magazine is untrue, I still read on with interest knowing that much of it may not be true! Maybe I am jealous that most of them have so much money. They can live comfortably and spend long periods of time (between movies?) living out dreams and money is never an obstacle. Although, I am private and am not jealous of the paparazzi. I put on mascara to go to the gym, so I would be stressed if I knew people actually were looking at me, photographing me and judging me!
I agree with "Mike from Boulder Creek" that many celebrities take themselves too seriously. But since I "know" them through their work, I enjoy seeing them running errands and at the park with their kids ... and I like watching them in interviews to try and get a feel for what their personality is. (Then decide if I still like them!)

MillerTime said...

I would add as a follow-up that it might be cool if the same celebrities weren't in every movie. I find that I often really enjoy a movie when the main character is an actor that I'm not really familiar with. Like when Russel Crowe was in Gladiator, or the guy in 300. The acting seems better because I don't immediately get an image of other roles they've played. I have a feeling we don't always see the best actors because a lot of them just haven't found a way into the big time films that go to theaters and get all the publicity.