Monday, June 2, 2008

The Finer Things

As my school quarter winds down and I complete all my projects and tests I always start to feel much more relaxed. So I've decided to revisit a post from a while back in which I just listed things I really enjoy. With the stress of school relieved I am going to take advantage of this brief time period in which I can be a positive thinker before the misery of Summer in Riverside consumes me.

Some things I really enjoy:

An ice cold Dr. Pepper straight from the can or soda fountain makes pretty much every situation better.

The feeling of handing in a paper or project knowing it is going to get an A.

The realization that I just learned something, or thinking back on an experience and realizing that I am now more knowledgeable and wiser because of that experience.

Being part of a play in a soccer game that goes perfectly; a series of passes precisely made, the right movement by those not in possession of the ball, completed by a shot that is placed just right leaving the goalie with no chance at making a save.

Similarly in the heat of competition realizing that unless a change is made the competition will be loss. Then finding the intensity and the drive to make that change and turn the tide of the game.

Playing Rockband - I know I have no musical talent, I can't sing well at all, and I am not really even that good at the video game. But while I'm playing I get a small taste of my dreams of being a rockstar.

Playing baseball - Running down a fly ball where the only chance of making the catch is to slide for it. Making the catch is great but getting there and having a real chance at making the play is what I enjoy. Also, making a quick scoop on a fast grounder, or having to leap to snag a line drive out of the air.

These simple joys need to be a part of everyones life. They may not happen everyday but I think they need to be experienced on a regular basis. As you think about the simple things you enjoy also think about how often those things occur. It may be that it is not as often as you would like, I suggest you remedy that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do remember talking about simple things I enjoy, but here are a few again...
I enjoy watching my kids play together and share their food and drinks with each other. I know that might sound weird. But young children are commonly classified as selfish, as in they have no idea that others have feelings or that anyone else would ever need anything. But watching them share with each other makes me think that this is not true. They love each other and want to help take care of each other. They have concern for each other. Anyway - I enjoy watching them and their relationship.
I enjoy a diet pepsi every day .. and if we are out and about and I get one from a fountain, that is all the better!
I enjoy the feel of the sun on my skin and hot breezes on hot days.
I enjoy running. It makes me feel strong and gives me confidence. I like that I break a sweat and that it clears my head and relieves stress.
I enjoy music, but right now I am focused on Worship music. I am trying to listen to only that for a period of time, and I enjoy it.
I enjoy my flannel sheets - even in the summer because our house stays cool.
I enjoy reading. I enjoy driving! (Because I rarely do). And so much more ....