Saturday, June 26, 2010

What are you afraid of?


At Bible study the other day we were discussing fear. The discussion stayed with me over the past week or so and I've been thinking a lot about what I am afraid of. Then I started thinking about how much fear limits us in our lives. We hold back from a lot of things out of fear; granted that is good in some cases because our fear pushes us toward caution to protect ourselves. But sometimes that fear robs us of experiences that we would enjoy or would prompt growth in us.

A lot of this occurred to me on Tuesday when I was helping my friend (the onion farmer) move his trucks up to where the farm is. These are pretty big trucks, of a size that I have never driven. These trucks are also manual transmission which I know how to drive but I've only done so in small cars and it has been probably 6 years since I've done it. So I was reluctant to help because it didn't sound fun and actually sounded like potential for me to smash his truck or another vehicle on the road. But he needed help so I went out there to do it. We took two trips, and the whole first trip I was pretty worried. I was gripping the steering wheel tightly, I was afraid to turn on the radio and I was paranoid about stopping and going at stop lights and signs. I was praying extensively that I wouldn't kill anyone or damage any vehicles.

I and the 2 onion trucks I transported survived the ordeal. Now not to say that this was some amazing experience or anything. But I did overcome my fear and drive a big truck and was able to help out a friend. All the while the fear I was feeling was telling me to "find a way out of it, remain cautious and don't do anything you're not comfortable with".

Have you missed opportunities because you were afraid? Does fear inhibit you on a regular basis in your day to day life? Have you overcome fear to do something really awesome?

2 comments:

Mom said...

I am afraid of that picture you posted! Scarey! I am definitely afraid of spiders and dogs I don't know. But those are not the fears that keep me from doing things. Sadly, I think it is the fear of what others will think that keeps me from doing some things. Why that matters so much to me is a mystery.

mike from Boulder Creek said...

I am afraid of the water among other things. So I have started swimming laps in the mornings for exercise. I am doing okay considering I do not really know how to swim well (at all)
and I am afraid of the water (because it could take my life) It is kind of a thrill but still scary. Facing my fear is good for me but I do not know if I will ever be relaxed in water.