Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Resistance to change

I have heard a hundred times how hard it is for people to change. The reasoning usually runs along the lines of how we get set in our ways and there are a lot of risks and unknowns that come with change so its easier to stay the same.

I'd like to look at our resistance to change from a different angle. I think we make it very difficult for each other to change. Let me give you an example. Let's say Ace is adamant that no beverage will every be as tasty and satisfying as yum yum orange. Gary is Ace's friend and coworker and while he is not as fanatical about a beverage as Ace he is quite certain that sippy sippy grapey grapey is much better than yum yum orange. The two have lunch everyday and Gary insists that Ace it being stupid and stubborn because he won't even try sippy sippy grapey grapey. He assures Ace that he'll love it but Ace always refuses because he knows his yum yum orange is the best. This argument goes on day after day for 10 years. Then one day while at a Get the foods quickly store Ace decides to try a sippy sippy grapey grapey. He is stunned by how good it is. Now Ace is in a jam.

If you're ace to do go tell Gary and the rest of your family and friends that you like sippy sippy grapey grapey and that yum yum orange is not the best and you'd like to branch out in the world of beverages? Or do you keep it a secret, continue to drink yum yum orange when around others and privately enjoy some occassional sippy sippy grapey grapey?

My point is this. The pressures we put on each other and the ever lurking, pride flaring, phrases like "I told you so" that we are so quick to throw out play a big role in our resistance to change. We are afraid of dealing with the reactions to, or the things that will likely come with the change we are going to make.

Can you relate to this? What would you really do if you were Ace (besides change your name)?

4 comments:

. said...

Did you find something better than Dr. Pepper? If you did it's okay we'll still accept you!
And yes. I agree that we make it hard on each other. I think in this situation because it's about a drink that I would just tell people but I think it is hard when it is a character change than you are trying to make.

Amy M. said...

I agree with you. I would probably find it hard to tell others because you know they would harass you, and you would have to admit you were wrong. I think admitting you are wrong is always hard, especially when other people rub it in!

mcgregorfamily said...

I agree about the pressures related to change. And the stigma that comes with it - "people can't change". So I think people don't like to share changes, or attempted changes in case of failure.

Anonymous said...

To quote my family practitioner, the ineffable Dr. Suess, "You do not like them. So you say.
Try them! Try them!And you may.
Try them and you may, I say." And if my name was Ace, I'd have the second raddest name ever.