Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wienerschnitzel

Last Friday Amy and I rounded up our co-workers and headed off to Wienerschnitzel for lunch. This was a bid adventure because neither of us had every been to one before. I have always thought the whole premise of a fast food place focused on hot dogs to be a bit silly even though I love hotdogs. So here's my report on the wienerschnitzel experience.

I was surprised but there was actually a line to the door so apparently there are a lot more people going there than I originally thought. The guy who took my order seemed pretty friendly. I'd say the wait time to get my food was about average for a fast food place. The menu was good because there is some variety but not like a hundred options like some places. I went with the 2 corn dogs, fries and a drink meal. The corn dogs were pretty average and not that big, the fries were average, the drink was great because they have Dr. Pepper there and a lot of fast food places don't. The price was ok, but I kind of had it in my head that hot dog based meals should be cheaper than a burger meal. We were able to find adequate seating for our group so that was nice. The drive from work was further than expected but we all got in, got our food, ate, socialized and made it back to work in time so it worked out well. One thing that I think could use some work is the pictures of the food. It all looks pretty fake and not very appetizing, the resaurant's whole look seems very stuck in the 70's or something. I guess that is maybe part of their brand but I'm not sure I like it.

Couple facts from their website: It was started by a 23 year old in 1961 with a single hot dog stand. Now has 340 locations in ten states. They sell over 120 million hotdogs a year. Their site has a page called "Wiener World" which is kind of funny, also they say on the site "Love wieners? Join the club!", I laughed at that.

Have you been to wienerschnitzel? How do you like it? Are there any common places you haven't been to? Let me know, maybe this posting will inspire you to try out somewhere new.

Lastly, What is interesting is that if I thought about the places Ihad never been to before I moved to Riverside for college the list would have been very long. My home town had a Foster's Freeze, that was the only fast food place. A couple town's over I think there was an A&W.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well good on ya for trying something new (on purpose). I too am dubious of the whole "hotdog based" fast-food chain premis. The "Schnitz" (as I like to call it) is just ok. Frankly (no pun intended) I don't see how they've survived this long. Jess' Grandpa buys like 10 chili dogs everytime he goes there and freezes them for later. Pretty disgusting. My question is, ampm hotdogs anyone?

Anonymous said...

And... apparently I don't know how to spell premise.

MillerTime said...

I've never had an am/pm hotdog before. I can't promise I'll try it though because hot food from a gas station type store just doesn't get me very excited. Also, I'm not sure if I know where an am/pm is. Frozen chili dogs is pretty gross and doesn't seem necessary. It's not like you couldn't just go back to wienerschnitzel and get another chili dog when you wanted one.

Anonymous said...

Exactly.

mcgregorfamily said...

Hmmm - I am in that situation of "where you used to live". There are not too many choices, and everytime we visit you we hear about new places that I had never heard of before. At first it was Chipotle - which we loved! And now Mike has one in Morgan Hill near his work, which is 45 minutes from our home. There is rumor one is coming to Santa Cruz, but it is hard for chains to get in there, so we shall see!
We rarely eat out, and if we do it is a date night, so we don't go to fast food. But sometimes for lunch we pick something up. It is usually the local taquaria, Taco Bell, Togos or Eriks Deli.
After the pool baptisms in Ben Lomond (another tiny town along the way) we did all eat hotdogs from the local stand and they were GOOD! I never choose a hotdog, but when it is the only choice, I like them fine :)

heastys said...

Thanks for the detailed report of your experience. I now relish the opportunity to try this establishment the next time I am in the mood! Does the suggestion of the ampm hotdog belong with this post or the ideas on how to punish your children post?